My Daughter's Poem For Me
by Jesus Diaz Llorico
Have I ever told you that your crescent smile is the full moon's other half?
- that when you open my black empty wallet, you'll see your photograph?
- that despite all that we're going through, when I'm with you I always laugh?
Have I ever told you that your scent takes me back to my childhood?
- that I could be wrong all the time but you always understood?
- that despite all of the bad things, when I'm with you everything feels good?
Have I ever told you that your poetry inspired mine?
- that it's because of you I wrote poems since I was nine?
that despite all the heartaches, when I'm with you the stars align?
So now you know that I will love you in your lowest points and greatest heights.
- that when I was a baby it was blurry at first but it was love at first sight.
- that despite all of the adversities, when I'm with you everything feels alright